Sunday, January 23, 2011

Save our Forests

"When the governments failed to reach agreement,
I remained silent;
I was not a climate expert.

When they failed to govern our banks,
I remained silent;
I was not wealthy.

When they sold off our forests,
I remained silent;
I had no trees of my own.

When they failed to prevent the destruction of our planet,
I did not speak out;
I was not an environmentalist.

When they failed to help communities,
I remained silent;
I thought only of myself.

When they failed to help me,
there was no one left to speak out."


To remain silent is to remain complicit, to sell our forests is to make profit without thought for the planet.
To speak out is to hold our governments to account, to keep our forests is to be trustees of the trees.

Stop our government selling our trees: Join the Save our Forests
Sign 38 Degrees' Petition

photo by spodzone@flickr

2 comments:

Phil Ashcroft said...

Polly,
Just read your latest piece. I like, many people, totally agree with what you say. The problem I find at the moment is trying to find a way of influencing events when one is so caught up wih the business of just surviving.

Like your blog!

Phil

polythenepam said...

love your blog, will read your book and when you rule the world (sometime soon), can plastic polluters be the first to be out lawed? Thankx pam